After an underwhelming Mothers Day, I started the week in a bit of a mood and was rather fed up if I’m honest so this week I wanted to learn things that would cheer me up or lighten my mood. Here’s how I got on…
1. Mothers get a day, daughters get a week! it made me chuckle on Monday to read it was Daughter’s Week. I wasn’t and still aren’t convinced that this is an actual ‘week’ but it made me smile that as a daughter I would have a week to celebrate how great I was and as a mother only a day. Ironic in light of the Sunday I had had.
2. Justin Fletcher is everywhere! Most days it feels like we have Gigglebiz and Something Special on a loop in our house. It seems he’s taken over our tv, tablet and both phones morning, noon and night. He was even on Britmums this week too! The guy is great for kids television and its lovely to see Georgia learning, dancing and signing along but when you’ve watched every episode on the iPlayer for what seems like a million times and little miss constantly asks for them on…argh! Can’t wait for her to discover Justin’s House or realise he does the voice of Shaun the Sheep.
3. I’m was £35 richer and £75 poorer! I was reminded by my little sister this week that she owed me £35, get in! Quickly followed by can you lend me another £75 until pay day. Despite her having a better job than me, no children and having just come back from a week in Dubai as the big sister I feel duty bound to act as her own personal ‘pay day loan’ provider on a 0% interest basis. True to her word 4 days later £110 was back in my account, only to be swallowed by bills the same day!
4. My daughter is a commando in training! Having turned Miss G’s cot into a bed 2 weeks ago we have had mixed success at keeping her in it each night. Throw in a new Gro Clock and 2 good nights and I thought we had finally mastered her staying in her own room. That was until she appeared one night at the side of our bed, Like something out of a horror movie she was suddenly there, barely visible in the pitch black and we only realised because she said “daddy” before reaching out to touch him. No warning from the intercom, she had managed to open 2 doors (neither were properly closed) and negotiate 2 steps, in the dark without making a noise. Exactly the same happened the next night and I almost now daren’t go to sleep in case she appears at my side one night.
5. I need to start doing pelvic floors again! No detail needed but I’ve had (still got) a rather nasty cough…enough said!
6. Mr L is only selectively blind! Having gone on strike over his washing, I had to relent and put his clean washing away after tripping over the basket for 4 days. I did stick fast and refrained from doing any more washing because his work things were still in the dryer after 5 days. But he must of noticed my fed up mood because on Wednesday he took me out for tea and bought me flowers from the local Tesco on the way to the restaurant because they had my favourites.
7. That the BiBs exist! Suddenly last week a blue and yellow logo was popping up all over people’s blogs and fellow bloggers were asking for BiB nominations. A fellow blogger was kind enough to suggest I put myself forward for the Fresh Voice category but I think I’ll concentrate on helping other great blogs this year and get my act together for 2016.
This week has been full on busy compared to the last, mainly because I am now back at work! And because I’ve learnt all of the below…
1. 11 weeks might as well have been 11 months! After a day in the office I felt like I’d missed so much and had way too many questions that nobody had time to answer. A week later and in some ways it feels like nothing has changed while I’ve been away but I still best get my head down and catch up quick. (I’ve written a post about going back here).
2. Now I’m back at work I need to balance being a working mum/wife again and now a blogger too! I’m really enjoying writing and I want to build up an audience but I recognise the time I have has now reduced and will reduce even more when back working fully. To try and make life easier I downloaded Hootsuite this week and will be trying to schedule more tweets, and hopefully write blog posts to publish at a later date.
3. My bruv-in-law’s birthday is on steak and blowjob day! I was aware this day existed but couldn’t have told you the actual date. I now know it is the 14 March which also happens to be Mr L’s little brothers birthday. I wonder whether he knows?!?
4. Little miss got into a fight! When I arrived at nursery last week I was asked to read and sign an incident form explaining little miss had been in a dispute with another kid and was now sporting a nasty scratch on her face. I was horrified to learn G had started it but relieved that the other kid was alright and unmarked. We’ve since had a few outbursts over this weekend that have even resulted in Mr L feeling the need to give her a telling off and I’m seriously hoping we can nip any issues in the bud before I have to start keeping her away from everyone.
5. I’m pretty sure Mr L doesn’t realise how much I actually do! I was hoping my being incapacitated from doing most things around the house, doing the food shopping and running around after Miss G would make Mr L realise how much I actually do but instead this week he complained to relatives about not having any clothes to wear because I never do any washing. I wanted to punch him. Needless to say he put his own washing in yesterday and was left to dry it too!! I’m on strike.
6. Shopping with a toddler is now no fun! Shopping with a husband and toddler is even less fun! Little Miss now insists on walking everywhere we go, and despite having ‘reins’ walking translates to running off at every opportunity and touching everything in sight. Although you are saved from having to take chase as Miss G tries to give you the slip, the end result when shopping with both is a screaming child and a very very cheesed off husband (he was already cheesed off about shopping in the first place). It is also always the case that Mr L and little miss walk away with bags of purchases while you give up , admit defeat and order everyone back to the car. Instead of enjoying some retail therapy you feel like you need therapy just to get over the trip. Needless to say I made a hasty purchase in desperation and will now have to endure another visit to the shops to take it back.
7. Next Mothers Day I am going away! With the mother in laws birthday Friday, brother in laws Saturday, and Mothers Day Sunday, presents to think of and buy from little miss as well as from me/Mr L by Sunday I was exhausted. I realise Mothers Day is earlier next year so everything won’t be happening all at once but still. I was lucky to get a lie in until 9.30am but then spent all morning and lunchtime being in a rush and running late for each visit we needed to make. In fairness Mothers Day this year was no different to any day really. No breakfast in bed (in fact no breakfast full stop) and a little girl who only wanted to know daddy. So next year I plan on planning it myself like last year and being somewhere with a hot tub.